Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Ella's new clothes

I tried sewing some little midget clothes last week on my staycation. Wow, learned a lot about clothing construction! They make it look so doable on Project Runway, but it really takes a lot of planning and smarts. I've been humbled yet again...

These pants were my first sewing project. Emily spotted this super cute J. Crew-ish fabric at Discount Fabrics on Irving. I learned that the waistline in front of the pants should be lower than the back to allow room for the BUTT, which should have been Obviously!


This next piece was patterned from a dress I got at Target. Aunt Lu clued me in on how to get the patterns from clothes and make templates out of them, but my first attempt was definitely not perfect. The angle of the sleeves were kind of weird. Ella looks like a little peasant girl from the late 1800s in this potato sack of a dress.

Lastly, I used a pattern from a Japanese mag I had gotten a while ago, and it turned out much better! Surprise.. surprise... However, she'll have to wait a couple more years until she can get into this. I'll have to figure out how to size up/down from patterns.

2 comments:

mockumentary said...

Ooh I really like ribbon trim you've added to the last dress. Did you take this picture at night? Can't tell how adorably fruity the prints are.
Can't get over how cute that doggie fabric is!!

C. C. Mock said...

I did take the picture at night :)
It's a little pink elephant on the ribbon trim.